Class Picture

Class Picture

Sunday, August 25, 2013

4 Winds in First Grade

Past and Future 4 Winds Parents,

Please read this email from Jen regarding 4 Winds.  We are looking for parent volunteers for this year. If you'd like to volunteer to help make this program a success, please contact me ASAP.  Lessons start right in September!  Thanks for all your help!

Greetings and welcome back to UES!
 
I am currently in the process of organizing our Four Winds volunteers for this academic year.  I wanted to keep you up to date as well.  We will be studying the Earth and Sky unit with one lesson each month except December and June.  You can find out more at the Four Winds website www.fwni.org or your volunteer(s) will be updating you within the next few weeks.  

Please feel free to contact me at anytime with any questions, comments or concerns.  If for some reason your volunteer is unable to teach any of the lessons please, please, please let me know.  I may have someone willing to cover OR I will personally teach the lesson.  
 
At the beginning of each month our naturalist, Susan Sawyer, from the Four Winds Institute teaches a lesson to our volunteers who in turn will teach that lesson in your classrooms. We leave the scheduling up to the volunteer and teacher.  Traditionally the program is not taught for fifth graders, however, if any fifth grade classrooms express an interest we can make arrangements to have the lessons taught in those classes.  After our training, I will be putting two handouts in your mailboxes.  One will be a teaching outline that is intended as a "heads up" as to the lesson that will be taught for that month.  The second handout is intended to be used after the lesson to send home with the kids as a method of sharing information with parents/caregivers.  There is a spot on this form for you to write a note then it can be photocopied and sent home.  

Finally, what can you do to  help with this program?  You can direct parents who are looking for places to volunteer to contact me about the program.  My email address is union4winds@hotmail.com or they can contact me at the numbers listed below.  Again, contact me with any questions or problems.  
I am looking forward to another great year of Four Winds lessons,

Jennifer Matthews
Four Winds coordinator (with Lyn Munno)
223.1213 home
505.0009 cell