Class Picture

Class Picture

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

2nd grade preparation

We have been spending 10 minutes each school day having conversations about what it will look like next year in 2nd grade.  Students are sharing their concerns and asking a ton of questions.  We are trying to 'throw away' any worries that come up and openly share our feelings. These conversations seem to be helping children understand more about the transition and help ease some of the end of the year anxiety they may be feeling. I would strongly suggest following up with these discussions at home to ensure your child is fully prepared. If you have any questions, please let me know. 

To help guide your conversations, here are some of the questions already asked:
            Will my teacher like me?
            Are the teachers nice?
            What happens if my teacher isn't nice?
            Who are the teachers? When will we find out?
            What happens if I don't know anybody in my new class?
            How many classmates will I have? (~20) What will that be like?
            What happens if nobody likes me?
            What happens if I'm the only small kid?
            What happens if you're taking an test and you don't know the answer?
            What happens if you are absent and a teacher reads a story that you don't know and then  
                    you have to do writing about it but you were out when it was read?

Also, INQUIRE with your child what they are sharing in their letter to their new teacher?  They were so focused while writing these letters today!